Beaches and nature
Close to the holiday residence you can find the beach of Salir do Porto
/ São Martinho do Porto located near a bay, closed off from the ocean.
A foothpath connecting Salir do Porto and São Martinho do Porto makes for
a great 20 to 30 minute stroll. In Salir do Porto you can find the highest
dune in Portugal. Both these beaches are very child friendly, with an ocean
platform to play on in summer.
Close to the appartment in Nazaré you can find 2 beaches: Costa de Prata
and Praia do Norte. The beach of Nazaré is long and broad, perfect to practice
various water sports during a day at the beach.
* Praia da Nazaré - Costa de Prata - is the most prominent beach of Nazaré. Being sheltered by a huge cliff, the location is shielded from the wind. The beach is supervised during summer, so it's possible to go for a swim in the ocean when weather conditions allow it. During peak season it's possible to hire beach huts to store your belongings, or to cool down when it gets too hot outside.
The broad beach - with fine sand- is also very loved by the Portuguese. During the summer months you can partake in a multitude of activities for young and old. Due to being a tourist spot it can be very busy, however. The beach is easily using the cog railway, which is only a 4 minute walk from the appartment.
* Praia do Norte is an – almost desert – beach. You can't find any restaurants here, and it's much less crowded. Due to this it's a great place to admire the nature in all it's beauty. This beach is around 15 minutes away from the appartment on foot. Be mindful however, it's possible for the ocean to be very rough at this location. Nazaré is the location where they organize the WC surfing. The huge waves here are unique in the world, generated through a combination of the Atlantic Ocean and the underwater Canyon of Nazaré.
* From the port of Nazaré you can go on boat trips to spot dolphins. The trip continues until the dolphins are discovered.
* Discovering Nate. A lot of fossils are located near the beach of Salgado.
* Also worth visiting is the bay of Obidos in Foz do Arelho. Once again it's possible to practice various water sports. Located a little further, you can find the peninsula Peniche, another location to find a multitude of beautiful beaches.
* From Peniche you can join nature-excursions to uninhabited islands close
Only a limited number of visitors are allowed, so we recommend to place your reservation in advance. We refer to : Berlengas nature reserve (island).
Near Caldas da Rainha you can find the 'Paul da Tornada' local nature
reserve. A beautiful place that exhibits various birds and otters.
For more information you can check out their website: nature reserve Paul da Tornada.